Despite all the progress of recent years, one parameter in smartphones remains almost unchanged: autonomy. There was a standard of work – from morning to night, and models that can last without charging longer, are admired by users and praise of journalists. It’s no wonder that a whole class of devices with a high battery capacity appeared in parallel. Often, focusing on long hours of work, manufacturers forget about all the other qualities, but with the development of ASUS ZenFone 4 Max, such errors have been avoided. We check how much it was possible.
Specifications ASUS ZenFone 4 Max (ZC554KL)
- Screen: IPS, 5.5 “, 1280×720, capacitive, multitouch
- Processor: Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 425, 1.4 GHz
- Graphics Accelerator: Adreno 308
- Operating system: Android 7.1.1 + ZenUI
- Memory: 2 GB
- Built-in Memory: 16 GB
- Support for memory cards: microSD up to 256 GB (separate slot)
- Communication: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz || WCDMA (3G): ranges 1, 5, 8) || FDD-LTE: ranges 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, TD-LTE: range 40
- SIM: 2x nano-SIM, Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS)
- Wireless interfaces: Wi-Fi 802.11 b / g / n, Bluetooth 4.1
- Navigation: GPS, A-GPS, Glonass, BDS
- Cameras: main – 13Mp (f / 2.0) + 5 Mp wide-angle, frontal – 8 Mp (f / 2.2)
- Sensors: illumination, approximation, acceleration, micrographics, electronic compass, fingerprint
- Battery: 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Dimensions: 154×76,9×8,9 mm
- Weight: 181 grams
Packing and equipment
The box in which ZenFone 4 Max is delivered is different in sliding design – the main part, in which all the contents are located, is inserted into the cardboard shell. Included in the kit are the usual accessories: a micro-USB cable, a 5V / 2A charger and a “clip” for removing the SIM tray. It was not without pleasant additions – the manufacturer added the OTG-cable to the kit.
The device is in operation
When creating “long-playing” smartphones, creators have to sacrifice performance in favor of energy efficiency of components. ZenFone 4 Max was no exception. It features an entry-level Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 processor that includes four cores based on the ARM Cortex-A53 architecture operating at up to 1.4 GHz and the Adreno 308. It consists of 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal memory.
The interface of the shell works smoothly: scrolling lists, moving between desktops, animating menus – all these actions are given to the device effortlessly. The work of everyday applications, such as social networking clients, instant messengers, audio player and browser, most often does not cause questions either. Some tweaks have been seen in the Play Market and the standard application for sending SMS, but these are, rather, the problems of optimizing these specific programs. With the playback of video clips, the device coped with dignity, some censures did not arise either when playing from the device’s memory, or when using streaming services. Perhaps the most noticeable limitation was 2 GB of RAM. Open tabs in the browser and applications hanging in the background, very quickly begin to reboot when you reapply to them. Do not give a good time and 16 GB of internal memory. If you do not use the SD card, then after installing a pair of voluminous games, you may encounter a lack of free space. However, do not use its causes, in general, no – the slot is separate.
In the benchmarks, the results are modest, which is not surprising:
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work without any problems. But NFC in this model, unfortunately, no, and use the systems of contactless payment using this smartphone will not work.
One of the main features of the gadgets of the ZenFone Max line has always been batteries of increased capacity, and ZenFone 4 Max is no exception. It is equipped with an impressive battery of 5000 mAh, and in everyday life it means about three days of operation away from the outlet in the usual mode. And if you reduce the number of calls to the smartphone and do not load it with energy-consuming tasks, you can still stretch the life from one charge even more. If to speak about more specific values, the hour of the game in the World of Tanks: Blitz “eaten” 12% of the charge, and when playing HD video at the maximum brightness of the display, the smartphone lasted just under 11 hours. A nice bonus of this model is the ability to recharge other devices – just connect the second smartphone or another gadget through the complete OTG-cable.
ASUS ZenFone 4 Max, you can call an interesting device, it has its advantages and disadvantages. But, if you think, the critical among the shortcomings is not – you can close your eyes to something, given the price of the device, and something is most likely to be corrected in subsequent software updates. At the same time, the advantages of the novelty from ASUS are quite obvious: for the sake of long battery life, other qualities (camera, design, performance) were not sacrificed, and ZenFone 4 Max can be used as the main device, and not just spare “long games for just in case “, like many fellow classmates.
- long battery life (battery 5000 mAh)
- a separate slot for a memory card and 2 SIM cards;
- possibility of recharging of other devices (OTG cable included)
- dual main camera, standard and wide-angle lenses;
- an entry level processor;
- small amount of built-in memory;
- small problems with software optimization.